12/22/2015

"Endgame - The Calling" by James Frey and Nils Johnson-Shelton

ENDGAME HAS BEGUN. ENDGAME HAS BEGUN. ENDGAME HAS BEGUN.

Twelve thousand years ago, they came. They descended from the sky amid smoke and fire, and created humanity and gave us rules to live by. They needed gold and they built our earliest civilizations to mine it for them. When they had what they needed, they left. But before they left, they told us someday they would come back, and when they did, a game would be played. A game that would determine our future.

This is Endgame.

For ten thousand years the lines have existed in secret. The 12 original lines of humanity. Each had to have a Player prepared at all times. They have trained generation after generation after generation. In weapons, languages, history, tactics, disguise assassination. Together the players are everything: strong, kind, ruthless, loyal, smart, stupid, ugly, lustful, mean, fickle, beautiful, calculating, lazy, exuberant, weak. They are good and evil. Like you. Like all.

This is Endgame.

When the game starts, the players will have to find three keys. The keys are somewhere on earth. The only rule of their Endgame is that there are no rules. Whoever finds the keys first wins the game. Endgame: The Calling is about the hunt for the first key.

Will exuberance beat strength? Stupidity top kindness? Laziness thwart beauty? Will the winner be good or evil? There is only one way to find out.

Play.
Survive.
Solve.
People of Earth.
Endgame has begun.
                                                                                    (source: goodreads)

I actually don't like this book at all. I don't enjoy writing bad reviews but otherwise you'll never know what books aren't the best of the best! I like the cover and all but it's just not what I enjoy reading. I heard from other people that they liked the books so you can of course always give it a try.

First of all I don't get the concept of the Endgame. Like why does it exist in the first place? Second, I cannot identify with any of the characters. Maybe it's because they don't think like normal people bc of their training or their personalities are just too extreme idk. Or it's bc their names are so hard to remember that I always mix the people up and then I'm confused why they are doing what they are doing bc it doesn't fit with their personalities.
Third, the romance between the people is just straight up weird. It's not really romantic but in their own twisted way it is. Like I said, weird.
Fourth: I feel really sorry for some candidates. They lose everything so they can fight for their own line. Like, at the beginning of the book several humans die just bc a big meteor destroys everything around the chosen one. Just like that. Just so the one person knows that they are chosen. I mean it's not like there's something called the mail or a telephone. No we need the whole drama and some candidates even enjoy the death and destruction (now we're back at point two). Anyways I think the whole details about who died and what it looks like when your best friend arises from the ground like a zombie with one arm missing are overrated. I wouldn't miss them tbh.
And last but not least I'm sorry to say that but I absolutely hate how the book's written. Here's an example: "Marcus sneers at the TV in his small, undecorated room. He is slouched in a plush black leather chair that sticks to his skin whenever he sits up. It is night, but Marcus keeps the lights in his room off."
Every second line it's " Marcus,...". I don't like that at all.

Well, I think you got an idea of my opinion *wink* and I still envy the authors for writing a whole book. I know how hard that is. So if you want to make your own opinion about this book, you do you. Don't let me stop you. I'm not going to read the rest of the series although the covers are beautiful, especially the ones with the 3D letters.

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment